The Italian government has advocated a diplomatic approach to dealing with tariff hikes by US President Donald Trump, who announced last Wednesday (26) an additional 25% tax on all cars imported into the country.
“We need to resolve everything through diplomacy, the tariff war is not in anyone’s interests,” said Italian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani in an interview with broadcaster RaiTre.
Last week, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni had already asked the European Union, which is in Trump's sights, to avoid "falling into the temptation of retaliation, which becomes a vicious cycle in which everyone loses."
The stance contrasts with the hard line taken by other European countries, such as Germany and France, which advocate the principle of reciprocity. “The EU must respond firmly,” German Economy Minister Robert Habeck said on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Trump continues to threaten the bloc. “If the European Union works with Canada to harm the US economy, large-scale tariffs, much larger than those already planned, will be imposed on both countries to protect the best friend each of these two countries [sic] has ever had,” the president wrote on his social media platform, Truth, on Thursday.
The statement refers to possible coordination between Ottawa and Brussels to respond to the trade war launched by Trump since he returned to power. (HANDLE)
FOLLOW ITALIANISM






































